I work the graveyard shift. And I’m not talking about 11pm-7am. That shift is easy. No, I work the 6:30pm to 7am shift. Yup. A full 12.5 hours of working at night. My schedule totally messes me up. I love my sleep and am usually in bed by 10pm or 11pm. I don’t like to stay out late or start my night late, but work is just something I have to deal with–especially since it’s what supports my lifestyle! So until I make my way onto day shift, on night shift I shall remain…
With that said, I worked 4 nights in a row this past weekend and was ready for a delicious breakfast! I had made Paleo Bread the week before and I didn’t want it to go to waste, so what better way to have it for breakfast than in French toast form?! YUM! Just so you know, this recipe isn’t 100% paleo, but the part that isn’t is completely optional!
Paleo French Toast
- 2 Farm fresh pastured eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (for this I used Trader Joe’s light coconut milk–yes I know it’s not as good as the full-fat stuff, but I mostly shop at TJ’s and I refuse to go out of my way just to get cans of full-fat coconut milk. Even though TJ’s now sells coconut cream, it has a handful of unwanted unnatural ingredients, so I guess I’ll have to steer clear).
- 1.5 tsp of cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Dash of nutmeg
- 4 slices of paleo almond bread, cut into 1-1.5″ thick slices
- Fresh raspberries and blueberries
- Honey roasted almond slivers
- Grade B maple syrup
- Whipped cream (optional–but you can make coconut whipped cream. Stick a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge, important note is to NOT shake it prior to putting it into the fridge. Once chilled, take it out, pop off the lid, and scoop out the thickened cream above the coconut milk).
- Heat your pan to medium-high heat
- Combine the eggs, coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a shallow dish. Mix until a custard-like consistency forms
- Soak the bread in the mixture for 5 minutes on each side
- Brown one side (about 2-3 minutes), then flip over the bread and brown the other side
- Top with whatever your heart desires! In my version, I topped it with whipped cream, fresh berries, and almonds. I was fresh out of maple syrup, but do what you wish