I was MIA for a bit because I celebrated my bachelorette-ness in Las Vegas this past weekend. Definitely missed my WODs and paleo meals, but I had to take advantage of my time there! Had dinner at Michael Mina’s Nobhill Tavern, where I was able to get my foie gras fix! Be jealous, Californians. Then dinner the next night at Wicked Spoon Buffet. I was feeling a bit queasy, but because of the alcohol I consumed, but because of the second hand cigarette smoke I inhaled in the casino! This was the first time I had ever gambled and it was unpleasant because I cannot stand nor stomach cigarette smoke. I guess that will deter me from gambling much more…however, playing War is definitely for me. Don’t have to think! lol.
On to today’s WOD…
Our strength WOD consisted of squat cleans for 15 minutes working up to a heavy single. Well, I like to go slow. I like to add weight gradually…like 5# at a time gradually. My last 1RM was 57#, so I started just with the 35# bar then worked my way up little by little. When I got to 65# (still feeling pretty good), Amy, my coach, told me that my form looked great and that I could make it to 85#. What?! Yikes! That’s a huge jump for me! From 65# to 75#?! Holy moly. I tried 75# first, which went well, then setup for my 85# clean. I attempted it twice but could not get past the squat position! I was just squatting there with the weight trying to drive it up, but I just couldn’t do it! 😦 I’m so glad that Amy pushed me because now I feel like the next time we do cleans again, I’ll be able to meet and quite possibly surpass 85#! Looking forward to the next time it’s in our strength WOD. What’s on the board for tomorrow? Bench press! 😀
On to the recipe…
I posted a few photos on Instagram, today. I was whipping up a storm in the kitchen, today! First I made PaleOMG’s Caramel Pecan Bars, Roasted Pork Chops and Peaches, Roasted Dilly Potatoes with Garlic (yup, WHITE potatoes. Sue me, I love them, and I can justify eating them…), and Nom Nom Paleo’s Green Sliders. Today, I’ll be focusing on my Roasted Pork Chops!
I’ve been making these long before I went paleo, and boy are they delicious…
Roasted Pork Chops and Peaches
- Coconut or olive oil
- 4 bone-in pork chops (3/4″ thick, about 2# total)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 peaches, cut into wedges
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 400F
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook until browned 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to an oven-safe baking dish.
- Add the peaches, onions, vinegar, salt and pepper (to taste). Toss everything for about a minute and then pour over the pork chops in the oven-safe dish, including any accumulated juices.
- Place in the oven until the pork is cooked through and the peaches are tender, 10-15 minutes. Garnish with basil immediately before serving.